New research shows that your gut health plays a significant role in hormone regulation so if you have leaky gut syndrome or a lack of probiotic foods lining your intestinal wall, it can also cause hormone imbalance.
The good news is there are ways to balance your hormones naturally. The bad news is the majority of people across the world today turn to synthetic treatments such as hormone replacement therapy, which can do three things:
- It makes people dependent on prescription drugs for the rest of their lives.
- Simply masks the symptoms while you develop disease in other areas of the body.
- Causes serious side effects by increasing your risk of stroke, osteoporosis and cancer.
If you don’t want these negative side effects but want to naturally balance your hormones, here are the top 10 ways to heal your hormones.
10 Ways to Balance Hormones Naturally
1. Eat Coconut Oil, Avocados, Grass-fed Butter, Wild Caught Salmon
These foods contain Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs) which are smaller and permeate cell membranes easily without the need for carrier proteins and special enzymes. MCT’s are sent directly to the liver where they are immediately converted into usable energy rather than being stored as fat. In fact, MCT’s do not depend on bile or pancreatic enzymes to be effectively metabolized. This makes coconut oil fully digestible by those who have had their gallbladder removed. Since these foods contain the proper balance of fats, your brains cells naturally function optimally.
2. Supplement with Adaptogenic Herbs
An adaptogenic substance is one that demonstrates a nonspecific enhancement of the body’s ability to resist a stressor. Adaptogen herbs are a unique class of healing plants that promote hormone balance and protect the body from a wide variety of diseases.(1)
Adaptogenic Herbs can help people handle stress by providing:
- Antioxidant activity
- Improved blood-sugar metabolism
- Less craving for alcohol or sugar
- Improved immune resistance
- Increased energy and stamina
- Better focus and concentration
- Less anxiety
- Better motivation and productivity
- A feeling of well-being
3. Balance Omega-3 to Omega-6 Ratio
It basically really started getting bad when Procter and Gamble introduced CRISCO (CRYStallized Cottonseed Oil) to the public in 1911. Their idea in creating the oil was to make oil have a longer shelf life. What really helped the growth of CRISCO was a study done by Ancel Keys (1953). He Isolated 6 countries, found an association between the amount of calorie intake from FAT and heart disease. He found a direct association between the amount of calories they were consuming from FAT and the overall rate of heart disease. Clearly based on his graph; more fat → more heart disease. So based on this graph alone you would have to agree that more fat is going to increase your risk of HD. However, this was pseudo-science and manipulated science and i’ll show you why that is.
Ancel ended up getting a nobel prize for his research and over time the AHA funded strongly by vegetable oil companies. Keys ended up getting a nobel prize for his research and over time the AMA funded by vegetable oil companies came out with rules and principles in 1977 with this huge call for getting rid of saturated fat and using more vegetable oils.
Since this switch to high omega 6 fats, our diets have went from the ideal omega 6/3 ratio of 1:1 to 20:1. Yup, the Standard American Diet (SAD) eats 20 times the normal amount of omega 6. This is why chronic diseases and inflammatory processes literally take over our society.
AVOID: Oils high in omega-6s (safflower, sunflower, corn, cottonseed, canola, soybean and peanut), and load up on rich sources of natural omega-3s (wild fish, flaxseed, chia seeds, walnuts and grass-fed animal products).
4. Heal Leaky Gut
Leaky gut not only affects your digestive tract, but also causes hormone issues and can more specifically target your thyroid. When undigested food particles such as gluten seep through a “leaky gut” it sends an immune cascade which causes dangerous inflammation inside the gut walls which lets whole proteins into the bloodstream, causing body wide inflammation which can attack things like the thyroid which has drastic effects on your hormones T3 and T4.
4-Step Plan to Heal Leaky Gut
- Remove foods and toxic lifestyle behaviors that we have talked about. Medications also!
- Replace with superfoods
- Repair with time, diligence, and supplements such as enzymes, omega 3, probiotics…etc
- Reinoculate with probiotics, digestive enzymes.
5. Five ways to Avoid Toxins in the Kitchen
After spending considerable time choosing and preparing nutritious food for our families, it can be pretty frustrating to learn that the products we are using to cook, bake, eat and store food with may actually put our families’ health at risk.
- Avoid plastic whenever possible when it comes to food and beverage. Hard plastics can contain BPA, which is a developmental, neural, and reproductive toxin.
- When it comes to food storage, safer materials include: glass, 304 grade stainless steel, food-grade silicone – all of which do not leach chemicals into your food.
- Avoid Teflon and any other chemical non-stick coatings. Teflon is a coating manufactured using perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), which is considered “a likely human carcinogen.”
- Use caution with aluminum cookware. Aluminum is a soft, highly reactive metal and can migrate in measurable amounts into food when used for cooking. Aluminum has been linked to brain disorders as well as behavioral abnormalities and is considered a toxic substance by the Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registry.
- The safest materials for cookware and bakeware include: glass, high quality 304 grade stainless steel, cast iron and Xtrema ceramic cookware.
6. Exercise to Naturally Balance Hormones
There’s no other way to get around the BEST way to balance hormones, and that is high-intensity interval exercise.
Our ancestors had very strong and fit bodies. In order to survive, people were forced to constantly be on the move, hunting and gathering or even running for their lives.Unfortunately we have become a society of convenience, looking for the quickest, easiest solutions. We literally do not have to leave our doors if we don’t have to.
As you grow older, an active lifestyle is more important than ever. Regular exercise can help boost energy, maintain your independence and manage symptoms of illness and pain. Properly performed exercise can stimulate metabolic systems within the body that can drastically slow the aging process. Not only is exercise going to keep you looking young, it will promote healthy mood and keep your brain sharp so you can do everything you need and want to do.
7. Get More Sleep
Sleep effects 2 major pathways which affect the release of hormones from the pituitary; the hypothalamic-pituitary axes and the autonomous nervous system. The pituitary is the master endocrine hormone organ. During sleep, these parts of the brain are activity modulating hormones to adjust your body’s functions such as releasing Human Growth Hormone (the anti-aging hormone). On the other hand, when sleep deprived and stressed, these corticotropins have the opposite effect.
To maximize hormone function, get to bed by 10 p.m. Endocrinologists (hormone experts) claim that one hour of sleep between 10 p.m. and 2 a.m. is equal to two hours of sleep before or after these time slots!
8. Limit Caffeine
OK, don’t kill the messenger! Drinking too much caffeine is almost as bad as not getting enough sleep. It elevates your cortisol levels, lowers your thyroid hormone levels and basically creates havoc throughout your entire body.
If you need a little boost, try not to drink more tea. You’ll keep your hormones in check and enjoy the weight loss and cancer-killing benefits as well!
9. Supplement with Vitamin D3
Vitamin D is important for bone health as well as reducing the risk of heart disease, diabetes and some types of cancer. It is vital for the absorption and metabolism of calcium and phosphorus. In addition it has been found to:(2)
- Regulate and support the immune system
- Maintain healthy body weight
- Reduce the risk of developing multiple sclerosis
- Maintaining brain function as you age
- Reduce severity and frequency of asthma symptoms
- Reduce the risk of developing rheumatoid arthritis in women
This is a really crucial point: If you opt for oral vitamin D, you need to also consume in your food or take supplemental vitamin K2.
“There are so many people on the vitamin-D-mega-dose bandwagon, taking more and more of vitamin D. And it could absolutely be causing harm if you are lacking the K2 to complete the job to get the calcium where it’s supposed to be,”Rheaume-Bleue warns.
10. Back Off Birth Control Pills
The Devastating Damages of The Pill
Birth control pills (BCPs) literally rob the body of nutrients required for vitality:
- BCPs deplete folate and this can cause serious health problems because lack of folate disrupts DNA metabolism
- BCPs deplete vitamins B1, B2, B3, B6 and B12, which may lead to irritability, depression, insomnia and fatigue
- BCPs deplete zinc and this in turn lowers the immune system and encourages insulin resistance
- BCPs deplete magnesium, leading to a chain reaction of mineral imbalances in the body
- BCPs permanently disrupts the balance of healthy bacteria in the digestive tract. This means reduced nutrient assimilation, lowered immunity, and the overgrowth of pathogens like Candida. Since gut flora is passed on from mother to baby, the mother’s imbalanced gut health is passed on to her children, and likely even her grandchildren
Those serious deficiencies and imbalances that result from taking birth control pills translate into these more visible symptoms:
- Weight gain
- Water retention
- Hair loss
- Reduced libido